Phrasal verbs - Meaning of account for
What does account for mean?
Here is the meaning of account for with examples:
Definition1. To explain by relating circumstances; to show that some one, thing or members of a group are present or have been processed.
2. To be the primary cause of
3. To constitute in amount or portion.
Check the phrasal verb account for in a sentence:
2. The torrential downpour would account for the saturated state of the land.
3. German speakers accounted for 37% of the population.
Check these related pages:
- Cambridge Phrasal Verbs Dictionary
- English Phrasal Verbs in Use: Advanced
- The Ultimate Phrasal Verb Book