Phrasal verbs - Meaning of hold back
What does hold back mean?
Here is the meaning of hold back with examples:
Definition1. to act with reserve; to contain one's full measure or power
2. to contain; stop
3. to delay, especially in school
Check the phrasal verb hold back in a sentence:
2. The dam can't hold back that much water.
3. He's a year older than his classmates because he was held back in second grade.
Check these related pages:
- Cambridge Phrasal Verbs Dictionary
- English Phrasal Verbs in Use: Advanced
- The Ultimate Phrasal Verb Book