The past simple and the past participle of break
Conjugation of the verb break:
Base Form/Infinitive without 'to':
Third Person Singular:
1. To separate into two or more pieces.
2. To cause someone to lose spirit or will.
3. To ruin financially.
4. To stop working.
1. She broke the chocolate bar into two pieces.
2. The death of his mother broke him.
3. The recession broke most of the businesses in the region.
4. He got rid of the broken washing machines.
The irregular verbs in the table below have the same pattern as break. They are:
- Verbs with '-en' in the past participle.
- Verbs like 'write, wrote, written'.