Teaching activity: compound nouns
This activity teaches students compound nouns, their form and meaning. The materials required are cards and pens or pencils. It can last for 30 minutes.
- On different cards, write down half of a compound noun and then the other half on another card.
- Try to use a few compound nouns that students might not be familiar with.
- Mix up the cards and have each student choose one.
- Then tell them that they should find the other half of their compound noun.
- Students get up and move around.
- Once a student has found his or her pair, check that they are matched up correctly and have them sit together.
- Students will enjoy action, especially those students who can’t stand still to work!
After all the students have found their respective halves, write all the compound nouns on the board and have the students define them.