I Have A Dream…
This lesson plan activity relates the classroom to the problems the world is facing. It takes as the starting point one of te most beautiful speeches about civil rights. The objectives are the following:
- Students will be able to write about a real-world problem facing their school, community, city, state, country, or ten world.
- Students will demonstrate in writing solutions to problems relating to their lives and the lives of others.
This lesson plan activity can be done as follows:
- Read the story, A Boy Named Martin to the students.
- Then discuss any feelings the story might spark and how Civil Rights have changed things since Martin Luther King, Jr. was a boy.
- Next, read Martin Luther King , Jr’s, “I Have A Dream” Speech.
- Students brainstorm dreams they might have …
- Students choose one problem to write about and offer possible solutions.
- This activity can be integrated with a thematic unit or taught as a writing lesson.