In a narrative, essay we basically tell a story that is related to your own life. It can be a narration of a personal experience or the events that happened to someone you know. The narrative essay should have a purpose. It must make a point and the reader must learn a lesson or gain insight.
Tips to write a narrative essay
- Tell a story based on one of your own experiences.
- Use concrete details so that your readers can visualize what is happening. Give as many sensory details and vivid descriptions to involve the reader.
- You may use dialogue.
- Make sure that your narrative essay communicates a main idea or a lesson.
- Spend some time drafting what you can remember about the experience.
- Create an outline of the basic parts of your narrative.
- Write your first draft and don't pay attention to mistakes at this stage.
- When writing a narrative essay you may use the tools of descriptive writing.
- Edit the essay:
Does the writing effectively recreates the experience for your readers?
2. Are there any more details and descriptions are needed?
3. Are there any information that has to be removed?
4. Is your narration effectively written to help your readers visualize events?
5. Is there any logical or chronological order in your narration?
6. Are there any grammatical or spelling mistakes?
7. Have you used appropriate cohesive devices?
- Write your final draft.
More writing lessons