1. Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world with approximately 1 Billion adherents, (2010), approximately 930 million of whom are in India.
2. The authoritative Hindu sacred texts, composed in Sanskrit and gathered into four collections are called the Vedas.
3. The principle or law that orders the universe and the individual conduct in conformity with this principle is known as dharma.
4. The multitude of deities which emanate from the Supreme God represent His qualities.
5. The Hindus believe in the reincarnation of the soul:
- The Hindus believe that existence is a cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.
- The soul experiences successive reincarnations on earth until it becomes perfect and reunites with its source.
- The soul passes through a cycle of successive lives and its next incarnation is always dependent on how the previous life was lived.
6. Diwali, also called the Festival of Lights, is a major Hindu religious festival, honoring Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. It is marked by feasting, gifts, and the lighting of lamps.
Here are more pages about India: