It's important to be polite when you ask for something.
You can make a request by using:
- can you ...?
- could you ...?
- will you ...?
- would you mind ...?
Here are some examples of how to make a request..
Could you possibly
open the door for me, please? would you mind opening the door for me ?
- Can you show me your photo album, please?
- Will you lend me your book, please?
- Could you possibly show me the way to the post office, please?
- Would you help me with this exercise, please?
- Would you mind lending me your pen, please?
Responding to request:
- Sure here you are.
- No, I'm sorry I need it
- I'm afraid I can't.
1. "Would you mind..." is followed by a gerund (verb+ing)
Example:"Would you mind lending me your book? "
2. The response to the following request:
A: "Would you mind giving me your book? "
- "No, I don't mind."(which is a positive response to the request. It means that I accept to lend you my book)
- or "Yes." (which is a negative response to the request. It means that I don't want to lend you my book.)
3. Could is more polite than can.