MY ENGLISH PAGES FORUMS - VIEWING TOPIC

English Language Forums

Forum / English vocabulary / Treatment or address or something else and ignoring or disre

Forums are closed... You may access the forums to read previous posts, but you may not post new topics.

Page : 1

Treatment or address or something else and ignoring or disre

Started by Messages
Vlad frm Moscow Posted at 12h05 on Dec 29 14
Vlad frm Moscow no avatar
Member registered on 12/29/2014
I am trying to translate from Russian in Englich one phrase. I hope the sense of the phrase will be clear even though I am using apparently wrong words.

At first the phrase sounded the following way

If you are going to contact someone you should use either his or her exact name or the common form of treatment. Otherwise the result can be not what you are expecting including entire ignoring of you or even more unpleasant consequences

However in reverse translation back to Russian "the common form of treatment" means something as medical assistance.

So I changed the phrase the following way

If you are going to contact someone you should use either his or her exact name or the common form of address. Otherwise the result can be not what you are expecting including entire ignoring of you or even more unpleasant consequences

However I am not sure whether address in this context is a right word. So I tried to translate the phrase in English using site Bing

If you want to speak to someone, then you should either use his or her real name or a commonly accepted form of treatment. Otherwise the result can be not what you are expecting including entire ignoring of you or even more unpleasant consequences

But now I do not understand why there is article "a" instead of "the" because there can be only one common accepted form of communication among people.

So the question is how correctly to write this phrase in Englich?

The second question is relative to words ignoring and disregard. What word is more appropriate according to the context of the phrase?

YASMINA Posted at 09h07 on Dec 31 14
YASMINA no avatar
Member registered on 01/21/2014
Hi,

If you are going to contact someone you should use either his or her exact name or the common form of address. Otherwise the result can be not what you are expecting including entire ignoring of you or even more unpleasant consequences

This is, to my mind, a more acceptable translation.

Treatment can't be used here because it means something very different from what you want to convey.

As to the articles "the" or "a", in case there are different kinds of addressing people, the article "a" should be used; otherwise, "the" should be used. This is of course a culture specific thing. For common ways to address people in English, here is a webpage that may be of interest to you:
https://www.englishclub.com/speaking/titles.htm

Vlad frm Moscow Posted at 12h13 on Jan 04 15
Vlad frm Moscow no avatar
Member registered on 12/29/2014
Thanks. One more question. What is the better to use in the context of the phrase: exact name or real name?

Page : 1