Writing a Group Poem
Writing a group poem lesson plan
This lesson plan encourages fluency, team work, accuracy, and allows learners to their feelings. The activity is best done in groups of 4 students.
- Open a discussion on a subject of interest to the students. (e.g. the environment, family, love…)
- Encourage students to express their inner most feelings about the topic.
- The class is split into groups of 4.
- The class must agree on a title.
- Explain that each group will make a joint poem
- Each student will write 2 lines.
- The group must then decide on the order of the poem (which lines come first, which next…)
- Group editing using dictionaries and other resources. They check spelling, grammar, punctuation…
- The groups’ poem is handed in to the teacher.
- A representative of each group reads out each verse.
- The class decides which poem is the best.