Action verbs game for English language learners!
Nothing can be more motivating and effective in a language teaching classroom than doing things with words. This game helps students review action verbs and fosters their long-term retention of these verbs. The materials needed are action cards and a dice. Each action card must contain five action verbs and can vary in difficulty depending on your grade level. The activity should be done in groups of 3 to 5 students.
- Revising action verbs
- Fostering retention of the action verbs.
- Bringing lively action into the classroom.
- Give 1 dice and 1 card for each group. Action cards are simply index cards with numbered action verbs on them. The verbs should be numbered 1-6
- Each group receives one action card and one die.
- The game begins when you call “action” and ends when you call “cut”.
- The first player rolls the dice and must read the verb with the corresponding number. Then, they must physically perform or act out the verb. If they are unable or unwilling to perform it, they lose their turn. This continues around the group until you call “cut”.
- Choose verbs that may bring fun, action and motivation to the game.